Thursday, February 26, 2009


I am wondering if we all understand the tenet of many people of color in our country - including those who now live here and those who have since left for better opportunities in their lives. This tenet is that it is, indeed, quite a racist land. In fact, I have heard many well-meaning fellow citizens proudly proclaiming, "Why, I don't have a racist bone in my body." Others still maintain that they don't see color. Hogwash! Then they must be blind! I have taken many multicultural classes in my lifetime and have even taught a few. I can tell you one thing. You will never ever understand what someone of color feels no matter how hard you try - if you are not one yourself. You may have extreme empathy, but true understanding can never come to you. I believe racism is a matter of learning - not education. Many educated people are the worst bigots I have ever met. The experiences and belief systems of an individual comprise the extent to which he or she is racist. Everyone is. Some just don't see it or know it when they are faced with it. Since this is supposed to be Black History Month - what have you done to get to know your neighbors of color? What have you done to educate and learn about the importance of the Asian, Black, and Hispanic culture to this state? If this is not important to you, then I suggest you read the following two books and THEN make a comment!
Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria? by Doctor Beverly Tatum
This book will entice you, challenge you and make you mad. But you will grow after reading it.
Dreams from my father by Barack Obama
Even though I didn't vote for BO, I still support him as my president and this book helped me understand from where he hails.
Two books not to be missed by any of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment